As I sip my morning coffee on International Women’s Day, I sit here thinking about what it means to be a woman. On the surface, the word ‘beautiful’ immediately comes to mind, but as I scratch that surface and delve deeper, I reflect on the magnitude that being a woman bears.
My focus shifts on the inequality that women in all walks of life have faced and sadly still often do today. But with adversity comes strength, and as women in the past and present have proven - we will not go down without a fight! This is why International Women’s Day is so important, it gives us a moment to celebrate the significant achievements of our women in the past who have paved the way for us today, and also highlights what is left to be done in the ongoing pursuit for women’s rights and equality.
IWD is also a day to champion the accomplishments and successes of all women around the world. So as March 8 returns every year, don’t forget to reflect on how far you have come in a male-dominated world, and also how wonderful it is to be surrounded by fellow intelligent, brave, resilient and extraordinary women - because a day that commemorates that is a day worth celebrating!
Here are 5 ways you can celebrate International Women’s Day this year:
- Support the IWD 2022 campaign for a world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination on social media - collectively we can all #BreakTheBias.
- Support women-owned businesses.
- Donate to a female-focused charity.
- Recognise and acknowledge the incredible women in your life.
- Make a calculated purchase by shopping with brands who will be donating the profits from purchases made on March 8 to charity. Butter Up Co. will be donating 50% of proceeds from all purchases made on March 8 to White Ribbon Australia who aim to eradicate gendered violence and create a society where all women and children are safe. For more information, please visit https://www.whiteribbon.org.au/About-Us/Our-Vision